Coal Collapse and Community Impacts
- Peabody Energy, Colorado's largest coal producer, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy -- coal towns on edge.
- The future of families of the Powder River Basin in question, reports WyoFile.
- A reminder that the embattled Air Pollution Control Division of CDPHE is hosting a meeting on the future of Colorado energy communities in Craig on April 27th.
- (More on why the air pollution control division is embattled here - a move opposed by the American Lung Association among others)
Alaska Budget Fallout
- The Wall Street Journal reports on the key battle lines in an extended state legislative session -- whether to cut into the permanent fund dividend (pfd) in particular.
- Alaska Public Media examines what this year's capital budget means for the Renewable Energy Fund and rural Alaskan communities, here.
Other Environment, Health and Community Development News
- Gold King Mine subpoenas of EPA officials approved by Senate committee
- This is a few weeks old, but remains relevant and largely overlooked -- rural health in Wyoming, as in Colorado, measurably worse than in wealthy or urban counties. See the story, with links to data, here.
- Colorado, under Governor's leadership, debates whether Native American mascots should stay or go. One town's debate is examined here, with more background here.