- AK legislature goes full-time, sort of.
- In a challenge to state norms and public opinion (but in an acknowledgment of shifting economy and dire straits), Governor Walker proposes both oil and sales taxes.
- AK budget cuts already affecting daily life.
Fire Season in the West
- Alaska fires season prospects -- the good and the bad.
- Colorado fire season heats up.
- A sour assessment of US Western forests, by The Economist.
- Images from space.
- Active fire mapping here.
- What's in fire retardant anyhow?
Public Lands in Conflict
- Commentary in support of BLM's new "Planning 2.0," which was highlighted in earlier #WesternWatch.
- Efforts to de-fang Fed's influence over public lands find Republican backing, and advance in Committees: here (by stripping law enforcement capacity of BLM and USFS), and here (through proposed land transfer legislation [NB: commentary piece]).
- Rep. Don Young (R-AK), however, steps up for conservation in surprise move.
- Earlier commentary on public lands dispute by AMRDI staff, here.
Things We Missed