Rural Livelihoods and Policy Challenges
- Though not within our usual geographic focus, our own experiences with wildfires means we can't ignore the tragedy that is the Fort McMurray Fire. More updated information is available here.
- Another perspective on what is, in essence, why AMRDI was formed: The effects of climate change on daily life and subsistence in Alaska.
- NPR broadcasted from Montana last week, with some special attention paid to debates over public lands, and climate related issues.
- Coal communities are suffering, and public policy, and funding, must address the disproportionate burden placed on them, the laid off, and counties. From Brookings comes one policy recommendation.
- A grim glimpse behind the opioid epidemic in Alaska.
- The Inuit Circumpolar Council-Alaska is asking the federal government to consult Alaska Natives much earlier in the policy making process.
- High turnover rates and a lack of grant funding for rural schools are thwarting efforts to integrate traditional values with western education models into curricula.
- Anadarko selling assets to raise capital
- GOP dominated states are, lo and behold, benefiting most from renewable investments their stalwarts oppose.
- Golden Council? Cash strapped oil and gas players align in order to fight ballot measures.
- At the very same time, a state Supreme Court ruling in Colorado means that the state must refund oil and gas companies as much as $100 million in mis-levied taxes.
- Solar power in rural Alaska has more potential than dark winters might suggest.
- Colorado leads on hunt to discover, and fix, methane leaks from oil and gas production.
The Natural Environment
- Colorado's Big Thompson River still struggling to recover from 2013 floods.
- The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will release a new management plan for Alaska's eastern interior this month.
What We Missed
- Renewable energy investments set new record, and outstrip coal investments for second straight year.