Welcome to this week's #WesternWatch, with news and insights from around the West and Alaska on issues affecting livelihoods, rural development and sustainability.
- Purple not long ago, Colorado is poised to become solidly blue (though this disguises intense rural-urban divisions).
- Colorado's El Paso County listed as one of the 11 most important counties in the country for the 2016 election. It's a traditionally Republican county but has shown little support for Trump meaning it might swing towards a third party candidate.
- Why Trump support never took root in red-state Alaska.
- Duking it outfor Congressional seat in rural CO.
Energy and The Environment
- In solidarity with the Dakota Access Pipeline protestors, some Alaska Natives take to streets.
- How saving African elephants might hurt Alaska Native artists.
- Denali's dogs.
- Op-Ed: Using public lands for renewable energy, responsibly.
- The future of logging in Alaska's Tongass National Forest.
Ski Region News
- Powder Mountain in Utah is set to become the largest ski resort in the US.
- Unusually dry Octoberhampers start of season; concerns some.
- But fear not, says NOAA.
- This could go in either energy or in skiing, as the following is a direct result of Alaska's energy economy crash: University system president to cut hugely successful skiing programs.
Community and Rural Development
- Plotting 'Generation Casper' and the future of the city, in Wyoming.
- Water versus growth in Colorado's Front Range.
- And water of the Colorado River, under scrutiny.
- 10th Mountain Division makes return to Colorado.