- Effort to revive Alaska native languages gets needed financial assistance.
- Debate over Alaska's social workers and their work in rural Alaska exposes serious challenges (commentary).
Energy and Livelihoods
- A motley crew forms "Arctic Coalition" in effort to keep Arctic areas in next 5 year offshore oil leasing plan.
- Alaska natives protesting Dakota Access pipeline share their mixed perspectives on oil and gas.
- CO state senate race hinges on who voters blame for coal job losses.
- Arch coal agrees to cleanup in order to exit bankruptcy.
- West slope residents fret oil and gas pads too close to residential areas, water sources, and CO River.
- It's not just the Dakota Access pipeline causing consternation: MT tribes square off with Louisiana energy company over energy lease in sacred area.
Rural and Mountain Economies
- Wyoming voters will decide how state invests.
- It's official, Gold King Mine is a superfund site.
- Is climate change hurting the Colorado economy?
- New Mexico farmers struggle to stay on land.
- Northern New Mexico battles food insecurity, everyday.
- West slope Colorado towns get first "true" broadband.
- Utah's reservoirs exceptionally low.